Quote of the Week
“You live a new life for every language you speak. If you know only one language, you live only once.” – Czech proverb
ACS Calvert is a fully inclusive environment and the school works to ensure that all students access the regular curriculum. The Learning Services are comprised of the ELL Department, the Learning Support Department and the Counselling Department.
Statement of Purpose
The American Cooperative School learning services department creates a learning environment that encourages integration into an additional language and culture, while maintaining respect for and pride in their cultural and linguistic heritage.
To support students, so they can work to their best potential.
- Department Goals
- To provide ELL strategies for teachers and parents, so they can utilize sheltered instruction techniques
- Help them improve at least one year of their language proficiency level.
- Assist students to choose opportunities for success and development of self- advocacy.
- Assist teachers with IEP implementation and identification.
- Communicate with parents, teachers and administration on IEP implementation, students progress and action plan.
- Commit to continued enrichment of skills and knowledge.
- Adapt as needed to serve an expanding and identified special education population.
- Help students achieve their full potential
- Help students achieve success through quantitative measures
- Empower students to be personally responsible for their own learning (i.e. set short-term goals)
- To support student’s academic and social emotional growth and development
To learn more about our Learning Services please see the:
* The Bilingual Brain by the Society for Neuroscience: https://bit.ly/2w6aCTX
* Who are ELL Students? by US State Department: https://bit.ly/2P8oPZf
* Enseñanza para los ELL: ¿Qué nos dicen las investigaciones? by Sarah Sparks from Education Week https://bit.ly/2w7QqBr
- Sites & Links:
* Colorin Colorado. A bilingual site for educator and families of English Language Learners. http://www.colorincolorado.org/
* Starfall. An educational alternative for teaching children to read with phonics. http://www.starfall.com/
*Literacy Center Education Network. This site offers playful learning activities for preschool-age children. http://www.literacycenter.net/
*VOA- Voice of America English News. A great site designed for learning English through the news. https://learningenglish.voanews.com/
*Randall’s ESL Cyber Listening Lab. A site specially designed for improving your listening skills. http://esl-lab.com/